Friday, October 28, 2011

Fun and Games while Learning to Read

For most parents, one task that seems over whelming at times is helping your child to learn how to read, count, recognize numbers, etc.

I've been working with my daughter with several activities that I'd like to pass on to my fellow readers who have little ones around the school age. They are inexpensive and easy to do.


Numbers in a Jar- Activity #1

Items Needed

Jar (any type) (several are needed)
Candy (any kind)

Directions: Place candy into the jar as child counts them. Once you reach a good number for their age, as them to take one out and tell you how many is in there. Keep doing this a few more times. Then, start adding the candy back in. This helps with counting, adding, and subtracting.

If you have several jars, fill them up with the candies at different levels. Ask the child which has more or less. Have them close their eyes, mix up the jars by moving them into different places, and ask again. This helps them learn more and less.

My daughter enjoyed this. She calls it the jar game.


Index Card Game Activity #2

Items Needed

Index Cards
Glitter
Glue
Black Marker

This also became one of my daughter's favorite games.

We went through the alphabet and drew each letter on one side of the card. Next, I let her decorate the index card with the glitter. This gave the cards a nice look and they were unique flash cards for her to use later on when she knew her letters. I'd periodically quiz her with the cards to keep the alphabet in her mind.


Do you have any neat and fun activities you do with your child to help them learn?

2 comments:

Mom Fashion World said...

I will try this activity with my son!
Thank you!

By the way, I'm your newest follower via GFC from the Weekend Blog Hop.
Please feel free to visit my blog. Looking forward to seeing you there, and would love a follow back. Thanks!

http://www.momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

humanecats said...

That's a neat way to teach. I can see her eating one and saying, now it is less. LOL I'm visiting from the Welcome to the Weekend blog hop. I'm now following you on GFC as Ericka T. Please check out by blog and consider following. Thanks.
www.savingwhilemakingmoney.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...